Monday, July 7, 2014

Hop in for a Frog Storytime

I am so excited to share this storytime theme because it was one of the absolute best sessions I've done to date!  The kids and parents all loved this theme.  Everyone was participating in the songs, paying close attention to the stories, and checking out the books I put on display after storytime was over.

Books
Jump! by Scott M. Fischer
Little Green Frogs by Frances Barry
Move! by Liesbet Slegers
The Croaky Pokey by Ethan Long


Lead-In
I started by playing music as people entered the room.  I love playing upbeat oldies with instruments as an intro to storytime, so we listened to "At the Hop" and played with shakers to help break the ice and get kids in a happy mood.  Once everyone arrived, I introduced myself and we sang a few of our favorite songs such as Hi Hello, Open and Shut Them, and Mr. Sun.  Then I asked the children what a frog says.  They all started croaking and ribbitting, so I asked what the frog DOES.  The answer is...  he jumps!  This lead us to our first book, Jump! by Scott M. Fischer, which also seemed to be the favorite of this session.

Songs and Rhymes
Little Frog (source)
I’m a little frog, (point to self)
Sitting on a log. (hands on knees)
Listen to my song. (hand to ear)
I sing it all day long: (cup hands to mouth)
Ribbit! Ribbit! Ribbit! Ribbit! Ribbit! (sway side to side)
CROAK! (in a deep voice)

The Croaky Pokey (source)
We sang and acted out this song as I read the book

Five Speckled Frogs 
Five little speckled frogs
Sat on a great big log 
Eating the most delicious bugs (yum yum) 
One jumped into the pool 
Where it was nice and cool 
Now there are just four speckled frogs  
Four little speckled frogs… 
Three little speckled frogs… 
Two little speckled frogs...
One little speckled frogs...

Felt Board Activity
Make a scene to go along with Five Speckled Frogs by cutting out frogs from green felt with darker green spots, a log from brown felt with a wood grain pattern drawn on, and a blue "pool" from aqua felt or paper with Velcro on the back.  Move the frogs into the pool as you sing the song and hold up your fingers to indicate how many frogs are left.  


Closure
Have children practice hopping and croaking like frogs, then show parents a selection of nonfiction books about frogs that are available for checkout if their kids would like to learn more.  Blow bubbles and sing the goodbye song, then give each child a frog stamp on their hand before they leave.

Additional Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment